Friday, July 10, 2015

Environment Design for Video Games

It's finally here. The class I wanted to take when I originally decided to switch careers and become a 3d environment artist. Of course to be able to take the class I had to start at the beginning.
In October of '14 I took the introduction to Maya class at Gnomon. I had literally never opened the software and/or modeled anything in my life. The class was eh, just alright.
I honestly didn't learn that much from it. The thing about basics is that you learn a little about a lot, but nothing beyond that.
Truthfully, practice and online tutorials is what taught me the basics. Just do it, and (many times) redo it.

The next semester was a world of difference.

Texturing and Shading 1 and Hard Surface Modeling 1. There was a moment during both classes, about mid way through that all of a sudden, I had a 'light coming on' moment. Like, oh! that's how that works. It was challenging, and it was fun.

Last semester was Texturing and Shading 2 and Environment Modeling and Sculpting.

More software (Zbrush and Mari), more tools, more information, more tips 'n tricks, more critique, more practice, more 'just do it' and redo it.

And now here we are. I've learned a lot, but there's still so, so much more to learn.

I am the only student in my class that's not a full time three year student at Gnomon. They're all seniors, in their last (third) year. Needless to say, they're a bit more advanced than me. I don't care though. I'm excited to be in this class; excited to learn.
I will work hard and try to keep up.

For the full 10 weeks of this semester we are working on one project. Which is a full video game environment. As always I had a wee bit of trouble picking a concept, but I'm happy with my final choice. Will try and update on my WIP as I go.


Onwards and Upwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment